Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mix It Up!

You ladies know that I bought a whole bunch of stuff from Etsy that I can use in different hair recipes. Well I have been doing a little mixing and I wanted to share the recipes that I have tried. This is a quick run down and how I used it. I won't be making any final reviews until I have used these things for awhile.

The following two recipes were found at http://www.mytexturedtresses.com/Moisturizers.php

Jojoba Oil and Warm Beer

Ingredients
1 cup warm beer
1 tsp. jojoba oil

Instructions
-Combine ingredients.
-Apply to hair and massage through. Rinse well. You may want to shampoo afterward if your hair remains oily.

I have used this as a quick conditioner when I wash my hair in the shower. It leaves my hair very soft. I have not had to shampoo after because it does not leave my hair oily at all. I can't say I'm in love with it, I have only tried twice, but it is a very quick conditioner option.

Moisturizing Hair Butter

Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp shea butter
1 1/2 tbsp avocado butter
2 tbsp castor oil or extra virgin oil oil
3 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
3 tsp aloe vera gel
1 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
10 drops of essential oil of your choice (preferably ylang ylang or rosemary)

Instructions
-Combine and melt ingredients.
-Mix together well and refrigerate until firm. It should stay soft and buttery at room temperature.
-Apply to hair (especially the ends as needed to moisturize)

I whipped this up making a bigger batch and I like it very much so far. I use it almost everyday to define curls and to twist my hair. It is not too greasy at all. I didn't melt anything, I just used a mixer to mix everything. I did add a few drops of glycerin. Other than that I stuck to the recipe.

I will be making another post on other recipes that I want to try from the same website and a fellow Blogger Au Naturale.





7 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I love mixing , its exciting to see what we can come up with of our very own. I will stay tuned :) thanks for sharing these great recipes...I really like the moisturizing butter. Take care.

    zainab1
    AuNaturale007.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...the 1st recipe sounds interesting. I know that beer has long been used for conditioning looser textures but I didn't know it could also be applied to "our hair" *filing away for future reference*

    And as yummy as the moisturizing butter sounds, I'm a bit cautious of using anything that's naturally solid in my dreads. I'd be afraid of residue and buildup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so wait... why dont you do a tutorial?!?!?! :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hair loves Shea so I will be trying this mi this weekend! I had no idea I could use BEER in my hair?!?! I have to brush up on my research! Please make a tutorial video ;) I second Rina's request!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ zainab1, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @nappy headed black girl, you will have to wash after a few days if you use it everyday. I had a week where I put it in almost everyday and by day 4 I was looking like I dipped my hair in a pot of oil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Rina and Naturally Kiki, a tutorial will be coming soon.

    ReplyDelete