Thursday, March 1, 2012

Latest Products and Routine

It has been a while since I have updated you all on what I have been using on my hair and my routine. Most of you know that I am here in Okinawa, Japan and products are limited, so a lot of things I have to order online. I also have a busy schedule with my mother/wife duties as well as life itself. Easy and simple is key for me and the least amount of products. Here is a rundown about what works for me.


What I use
Shampoo: Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo, or African Black Soap

Co-wash/Conditioner: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Moisture: Spray bottle of Water and Vatika Oil

Sealing: African Shea Butter

Deep Condition: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle with Vatika Oil 

Extras: Fantasia Olive Oil Styling Gel

Routine
Wash once a month for a deep clean or whenever I have product build up.

Co-wash once a week if not twice depending on when I want to change hairstyles.

Deep condition every two weeks

Detangle in the shower with a wide tooth comb.

Moisturize and seal in sections

Medium sized twist or braids to stretch and style for the week, or an actual style.

I use Shea butter and/or Fantasia Olive Oil Styling Gel to set twist and braids. I also use the gel to secure puffs or my edges when wearing a headband. 

Night time I use stretchy bands to put my hair in four loose puffs to minimize tangling and matting. I use a big satin cap to sleep in and if I am maintaining a style I will use a smaller satin cap.

Protective Styling
 Right now I am trying to use protective styles a lot. Not only because I am trying to retain length but also because with my busy schedule it’s easier to maintain. 

When I am wearing braids if I feel the need to cleanse I will do so with an ACV rinse. I moisturize with the same ingredients as above and I seal with Vatika Oil and also use that on my scalp.

When I am wearing a wig I simply go through my regular co wash routine once a week and then cornrow my hair back up to wear the wig for the following week.

For me simple is best and I like to use the same products for more than one purpose. Right now I am comfortable with the products I use and they work very well for me. I can honestly say that I am out of the experimenting with products stage and the bandwagon stage with products. I have learned that trying what I want to try regardless of what the natural hair community says is right or wrong is best for me and my hair goals. 

With that being said, I encourage you to try out different products until you find what works for you. Everyone’s hair is completely different than the next so we are not always going to get the same results. Time and patience is key!!

What products are you using and how is your routine different than mine? Feel free to add the steps that I may be missing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment